What if someone gave you a fabulous new vehicle, that was capable of doing virtually anything you could imagine? Further, what if they told you that as long as you took good care of it, it would last for the rest of your life, and it would carry you anywhere you wanted to go?
Guess what – you’ve got it! It’s your own body. Take good care of it and it will carry you in style to the end of your days. I know there are exceptions, sometimes bodies let us down, through no fault of our own. Illnesses and conditions can make our physical performance less than optimal, compared to others. That’s the great thing, though. When it comes to your own human health and performance, you don’t need to measure up to anyone but you.
If you’re having trouble fitting fitness into your schedule, try working it in a little at a time. Make sure you make a commitment that you can keep. For me, for example, I know very well that if I plan to work out first thing in the morning, no matter how early, the odds are better that it will happen. If I try and leave it to the end of the day, life seems to have a way of intervening.
Other tips for making sure you give your fabulous vehicle the care and feeding it deserves?
- Find a workout buddy who will keep you accountable
- Start small – even parking at the end of the lot and walking to your office is better than no exercise at all
- Don’t overdo – trying to compete with your younger self isn’t helpful and it may just set you up for an injury
- Try different activities until you find one you like
- Don’t invest in a pricey gym membership until you’re sure you’ll go – try as many “taster” classes as you can
- Check out your local YM/YWCA or Community Centre – they’re great places to sample a wide variety of drop-in classes until you figure out the things that are fun
- Try something you’ve never tried before, just once – who knows, you might like it!
Have fun, get fit, and here’s to your health. You’ll be grateful when you feel great every day.